Pwll Du (or Pwlldu, Black Pool) was an industrial village from the 1820's until demolished in the 1960's. It had two rows of terraces, one of 14 houses and one of 28, and two pubs, one doubling up as the company shop. All that remains is the Lamb & Fox Inn (formerly the Lamb), and the Village Hall, now the Outdoor Pursuits Centre; both are open for business and the Lamb And Fox has some photos of the old village in the bar. It is in the "Cordell Country" between the Brecon and Abergavenny Canal, Blorenge hill, and Blaenafon. Blaenafon has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2000, largely based on its associations with the industrial history of the area. Alexander Cordell wrote several novels located in this area relating stories of the families living and working in the iron foundries which were here because of the association of limestone, ironstone and coal. A tunnel linked Pwlldu to Blaenavon; while sealed for many years, there is now a project to reopen it.
At one time the village had 2 public houses. Today the Lamb and Fox is the only remaining site. The Prince of Wales straddled the Monmouthshire, Breconshire border. It was said that, due to different licensing laws in the respective counties customers would move to different parts of the house in order to continue drinking.
This Hall, built for the inhabitants of Pwlldu in the 1940's is one of the remaining structures that reminds the visitor of the size of the community in the mid 20th century. It was paid for from a local levy on the people of Pwlldu. It is operated today by Gloucestershire Council as a base for outdoor pursuits.