Govilon History

Village Trail

Sites In And Around The Village

Govilon Canal Wharf

Bailey's ware-house was built on Govilon wharf in 1820 at the end of the Llanvihangel tramway and Baileys tramway. Today it is a Grade II listed building and occupied by British Waterways. The warehouse is three-storeys high and built from rubble-stone with a slate roof. It retains many characteristic features such as a large triangular cast-iron frame which formerly supported the crane and external stair to first floor loading doors. Alongside the site there are remains of a large building which is believed to have been an old inn used as an overnight stop for canal workers and boatmen.

Also constructed on the wharf around 1820 was a bank of three limekilns, one of which made use of the canal for direct charging.

 
Home|About|History Trails|Walks & Talks|Records|Memorial|Publications|Prints|Photos|Govilon.com