Sites In And Around The Village
Ty Clyd is Welsh for "Sheltered" or "Snug" House. It was built perhaps as early as 1735 and was a farm house. It has a large garden, including a walled section, and several outbuildings and greenhouses. At one time it was the home of William Hiley, whose business was in grocery based in Abertillery In 1881 it was the home of Mr H.M Tynte - a justice of the peace. By 1891 it was the home of Henry Edwards, a commercial traveller. In 1901 Dr William Edwin Williams J.P, a retired surgeon, lived here. He was president of the Monmouthshire West Conservative Association, and was the Conservative candidate in the constituency in 1895.