Sites In And Around The Village
At one time or another the village and surrounding area had 13 public houses. Today two operate:
Lion Hotel: Built in Georgian times. The current restaurant occupies the original stables and there are still two iron rings in the wall to tether horses[photo].
Bridgend Inn: Situated in church lane the building dates from 1786.[photo]
Of those no longer operating, we have been able to trace a further 8 establishments:
Butcher's Arms – situated on the edge of the village on the Llanfoist road the house dates back to 1670. It was a free house up to the 1890's when it was acquired by the Charles Edwards Brewery of Llanfoist. It was later bought by Rhymney Breweries. It served its last pint in 1928. Today it is called the Unicorns Rest. The name was given by a former owner whose family crest was a resting Unicorn.[Photo]
Old Three Cocks Inn – standing opposite the Bridgend Inn today the house is called Bethyn Fedw. It was a Public House dating back at least from 1845. It became the Govilon Tea Rooms until 1929.[photo]
New Three Cocks Inn