Govilon History

Historical Records

Pigot & Co. Directory of Llanwenarth 1844

LLANWENARTH [1844]

(as described in the Abergavenny entry)

LANWENARTH, comprising Lanwenarth-Ultra, in the upper division, and Lanwenarth-Citra, in the lower division of the hundred of Abergavenny, is a parish of some extent; the church belonging to which stands isolated about two miles N.W. from Abergavenny; it is dedicated to St. Peter, and the living is a rectory, in the same patronage as Lanfoist; the present incumbent is the Rev. George Gabb. In 1831, the Ultra division of the parish contained 1,956 inhabitants, and the Citra 247; in 1841, Ultra 2,330 and Citra 256.


GENTRY and CLERGY
Mr Daniel Davies, Lanwenarth
Rev. George Gabb, Lanwenarth
Rev. Francis Riley, Lanwenarth

BLACKSMITHS
Mathew Turner, Lanwenarth
Charles Williams, Lanwenarth

BOAT BUILDER
William Walters, Lanwenarth

BOOT and SHOE MAKER
William Meredith, Lanwenarth
William Morgan, Lanwenarth
John Phillips, Lanwenarth
David Pritchard, Lanwenarth

BUTCHERS
Charles Daniels, Lanwenarth
John Williams, Lanwenarth

CARPENTERS and JOINERS
David Price, Lanwenarth

COAL MERCHANTS
Llanvihangel Company, Wharf (Joseph Hart agent)

COOPERS
Willaim Davies, Lanwenarth


GARDENERS and SEEDSMEN
Thomas Gwynn, Lanwenarth

GROCERS and TEA DEALERS
Thomas Browning, Lanwenarth

HAULIERS
Thomas Parry, Lanwenarth

MALSTERS
Thomas Brown, Lanwenarth

MILLERS
Jeffrey Jones, Lanwenarth

SHOPKEEPERS and DEALERS in GROCERIES and SUNDRIES
Edward Matthews, Lanwenarth

TAVERNS and PUBLIC HOUSES
Green Dragon Thomas Rogers
Lamb & Flag John Morgan
Lion Inn David Williams
New Three Cocks, Edward Matthews
Old Three Cocks John Williams

RETAILERS OF BEER
William Jones, Lanwenarth

WHEELWRIGHTS
John Davies, Lanwenarth

WOOLEN MANUFACTURE
John Lewis, Lanwenarth

 
Home|About|History Trails|Walks & Talks|Records|Memorial|Publications|Prints|Photos|Govilon.com